Old 02-15-12, 07:08 PM
Milootis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re: 1996 Sidewinder

[QUOTE=LarDasse74;13856970]http://www.bikepedia.com/QuickBike/B...nder&Type=bike

"If the bike is new I suspect $175 is not too bad a deal. The bike is 16 years old, though, and it's been a pretty busy 16 years of development in the bicycle industry.

I find the claim dubious that they had a hi-tensile (very inexpensive and basic) frame made in the USA in the mid 1990s. Schwinn was one of the first companies to use Taiwanese companies for most of its production back in the '80s. They invested heavily in the Taiwanese bike manufacturing sector, which in turn spawned competitors and helped nail the coffin shut for Schwinn."

First of all, thanks for your input! I am looking to but the bike for my 11 year old daughter, so while not having the latest in design technology, I thought this might be a fairly good quality ride for her until she is old enough to get the bike of her choosing. I think that if I can get it for around the same price as a "wal mart bike" that the trade off between higher quality and newer technology may be worth it.
As for the made in Boulder sticker, I was reading that in low light without my glasses, so I very well could have mis-read it. I was able to find some Schwinn pamphlets from 1996 online that refer to "Homegrown" frames made in the U.S.A. (whether this bike falls into that catagory I don't know?)
Once again thanks for your reply