Old 02-16-12, 10:54 AM
bibliobob

Bikes: '53/'54 Bianchi CDM, '62ish Altenburger Cinelli Mod B, '69 Rene Herse Competition, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '73-74 Colnago Super,, '73-74 Cinelli SC, '78ish counterfeit Confente, '82 Medici Gran Turismo, '67ish Mondia Speciale, Eddy Merckx Pro

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 257 Times in 87 Posts
My brand new '61(?) chrome Frejus.....!!!!

Well, she's a bit rough and I need to replace the drivetrain with period correct components, but I figured that I'd go ahead and post some "before photos" now, as it could be awhile before I get her up to snuff. It just arrived a couple days ago, and I just kind of slapped it together (sans cranks) for a quick few photos. Haven't even wiped off the dust yet.

The serial number would indicate that she's somewhere in the '60-'62 range, according to the CR registry. The brakes, bars, stem, headset, and seat post appear to be original. The derailleurs, cranks (it came to me with Sugino Mightys), bb, saddle, and wheels are definitely replacements.

The bad: The cromovelato is peeling around the head tube and is about half gone. And, some knucklehead over-tightened the umbrella pump holder and left two tiny dings on the seat tube.

The good: With the exception of some spots near the bb/seat stay cluster, the chrome looks like it's in very nice shape. The hard to find bars/stem, and headset are intact.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to best build her up? I could either go with an older cottered Magistroni/Gran Sport drivetrain, or a first generation Record build. I think that the older option would be cooler (I have a soft spot for cottered cranks), but the later Record would probably perform better. Or, other suggestions?