View Single Post
Old 02-16-12, 11:22 AM
nun

Bikes: Rivendell Quickbeam, Rivendell Rambouillet, Rivendell Atlantis, Circle A town bike, De Rosa Neo Primato, Cervelo RS, Specialized Diverge

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 180 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by chagzuki
There was a horrendous hinge defect with 2008 Dahons, they didn't clamp properly at all. The bikes were junk.
The Brompton hinge was designed with wide manufacturing tolerances in mind (as with nearly all things Brompton); they opted for a concave plate that alleviates the need for precision-machining as they only touch on the outer edges (the result is that they act as springs and flex). With Dahon you get CNC machined hinge plates that are supposed to fully buttress against each other resulting in much more stiffness so long as the latch is correctly adjusted. With that much greater surface area contact you get more friction if those surfaces should fractionally slide against each other, hence the tendencies of Dahons to creak somewhat once the powdercoat abrades and aluminium rubs on aluminium.

On the Tern forum there are reports of creaking so it seems they haven't eliminated it entirely. But if you want stiffness the Brompton hinge design won't do.
Interesting. The Tern design obviously tries to stop flex in any direction with it's interlocking surfaces. When I looked at the Brompton hinge I liked it's simplicity, but understood the flex issues. I seems to me a good place to use a spherical washer type thing to fill in the gap, but if they are only machining to +/- 0.3mm getting close mating surfaces wouldn't be possible

Last edited by nun; 02-16-12 at 11:48 AM.