Old 02-16-12, 02:33 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
Originally Posted by Telly
I actually have a couple of these adapters, but they never really seems to work correctly, especially at gas stations which have the portable pumps (thankfully the air's still free here in Greece!).

The reason I would prefer a Schraeder valve is that its easier for me to check the tire pressure at a local gas station than it is at home which is an apartment building where I can't leave my foot pump near the bike. It's not critical for me to change to Schraeder, but it would make a life a bit easier since I commute every day.

On another note (still on this topic)... my tires need replenishing (topping up 5-10 psi) every few days or a week at best. Is there anything I can do/purchase which would help keep them inflated at the proper psi (72 psi) longer?
Yep, the adapters work sometimes but not always. They're also a pain to use unless you just leave the presta nut unscrewed all the time. Tubes meant for larger tires will help keep the air in, as they stretch less when inflated. If you have a 700x38 tire you could try a 40-45 tube. Schraeder valves also hold pressure better!

I've never snapped off a presta valve due to improper pumping but I've had at least 4 or 5 simply refuse to open. The stupid things get sticky and no matter how you 'burp' them they will not come free. I've never had a Schraeder valve fail on a bicycle or a car.