Old 02-16-12, 06:44 PM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jur
I bought a set of these levers and found they didn't work

1. The left lever interfered with the integrated bell on the derailer switch assembly. If I moved it far enough out of the way, then it occupied more space than the original lever. :fail:
2. The original cable does not work - these levers require road bike inners - OK only a few bucks but still an annoyance. :fail:
3. The lever does not work with the original cable adjustment. The cable fits directly into the lever body, no adjuster. Since the brake has no adjuster either, you end up with no adjustment, or, you have to purchase a separate adjuster. :fail:

So now I have this set which I wasted my money on. :fail:

Badmother, what did you do?
For sure they work! I see peopel here all the time buying bikes just to start changing out all the parts so what you describe should be minor issues. Of course if you get something totally different from what you expected you`ll be disapointed.

You bought a new bike, I bought two (for son + me) that were NOS. They had hardly seen daylight but was made in 1992. Therefor:

1. I adjusted until it worked fine. Can not remember if this shifter has an adjustable angle like the other one.

2. Our bikes are older so it already had the road cables. Just loosened the bolt holding the cable by the caliper to get more slack, unhooked from the old one and hooked it into the new one. Adjusted wirelenght and tightened the bolt.

3. There is a barrel by the brake on our (older) brakes. I`d be more than happy to add an extra adjuster if I had to to keep my supercool levers

My son did all the work on his own bike, I have told him he has to do that. When he is leaving home to study later on he is on his own and need to do all the work on the B, no bikeshops around here I would trust with the B. Bought rim and spokes, need to decide on hub for his first wheel build. Want to make his 3 speed into a 5 speed and keep the 3 speed wheel as a spare.