Old 02-18-12, 04:15 AM
surfperch

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Salsa Casseroll vs Cross Check for the big guy.

I currently weigh in at 245 pounds; up nearly 40 pounds from when stopped riding four years ago (bad idea to keep the same eating habits and cut out your primary means of burning those calories).

I'm looking at getting either the Salsa Casseroll or the Surly Cross Check and wondering if any Clydes or Athenas have insights or experiences with one versus this other?

I really like the way the Caseroll looks and what is offered on the complete model, but I have read on a couple of occasions the bike being a smooth or soft ride for riders who weigh a lot less than me and I am concerned about being a too soft or noodley at my weight. Is there any validity to this?

Are their any concerns or points of weakness about the Cross Check and heavier riders?

Commuting. I live in a foothill area which means lots and lots of hills...level ground only exists inside stores and homes. Some of the hills are kind of ridiculous and two days out of the week I'll be pulling my daughter in a trailer.

Long general rides, comfort in the saddle. Aside from my commute I used to do 'day longs' once or twice a week where I would just take off in a general direction in the morning with no specific destination and make my way back home between nightfall and 1am. There are a lot of hard packed dirt trails (horse trails or well-groomed hiking trails?) where I live now and it would be a lot of fun to explore them via bicycle. A mountain bike would be overkill for most of these from what I can see.