View Single Post
Old 07-21-05, 09:40 AM
Satyr
Corsair

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have lived car free my entire life, as I have yet to learn to drive. Only been behind the wheel a few times, and frankly it scares me. (I am also young, 21, and have had luck in finding work within cycling distance).

However, there are times I wish I had some means of transportation into the mountains for hiking, since I love to backpack. I frequently do not have the time to bike to the trailheads, as it would take a few days at least.

Never really have explored public transit to trailheads in America. Have been in Germany and Switzerland for about two months and you can get to damn near anywhere on public transit, even remote mountain passess.

On the same token, I cannot imagine my life with a car. It would totally change who I am, I feel. I would not want to deal with the mechanics of a car. I would not want to deal with paymaints. I feel more free without a cage, even though I to get major rides from friends about twice a year.

I also play classical gutiar, and lack of a covered vehicle has kept me from an 8 mile one way trip to a great guitar teacher, but not from about a two mile one. I think when I get back to the States next year I shall take up that 8 mile ride.

My goal is to remain carefree as long as possible, hopefully my entire life. Since I plan to enter graduate school in mathematics soon, and then head to a professorship, I probably can make this a reality as long as I live within about 20 miles of work.