Old 02-19-12, 12:46 AM
ESW116

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newCyclerJD
Thanks for the replies!!
ESW116: Thanks for the advice!! I will make sure to try that tomorrow. It has been storming outside straight for about 2 days. Looks like tomorrow it clears up!!

socialbiker44: Did you try and put it in the dish washer? I am thinking that the heat might warp the disc? It might not be all that hot to deform the disc, but thanks for the advice!

I tried to make the squeal go away by going down hills with the brakes on lightly. I made the squeal go away temporarily, but it didn't go away for that long. I am assuming that I am just wearing out my brakes by doing this, but I figured it was worth a shot.

Thanks for all the input thus far!!
That won't wear out the brakes. Well, I should say, it will, but the wear will be very minute. What you were actually doing was bedding in the discs, which is the process, basically, of breaking them in.

Whenever you get new rotors or calipers or both, you want to bed them. This is done first by cleaning them, and then basically sprinting up to 15-20 mph or so and then applying soft, consistent pressure to the brakes to slow you down (not quite do a dead stop). Don't do it abruptly with hard pressure. Repeat about 5-10 times.