View Single Post
Old 02-19-12, 01:35 PM
CliftonGK1

Bikes: '08 Surly Cross-Check, 2011 Redline Conquest Pro, 2012 Spesh FSR Comp EVO, 2015 Trek Domane 6.2 disc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm not a fan of the Open Pro for a few reasons; the durability as listed above, and I find that they're just downright noisy. I don't know what it is about them, but I used an Open Pro rim as an emergency replacement before a 300k a couple years ago and it was the loudest 17 hours I've ever spent on a bike. They seem to amplify every bit of road chatter, but that's just my opinion.

My favourites overall have been the DT RR1.1 (now re-badged as the RR465). Slightly heavier than the Open Pro, similar dimensions (actually, identical dimensions to the Alex DA16) but with stronger eyelets then the Mavic and a wear indicator on the brake track so you know when you're nearing the end of life on one. The drawback is that they are costly.

Now, if you're willing to go with a 32h rim I've recently become a huge fan of the IRO Cold Fusion rim. From what I can tell it's an unbadged Velocity Fusion. No eyelets, no wear indicator; it's a pretty basic rim. Round, flat, anodized and machined, with a sleeved/pinned joint. I've got a pair of them on both my commuter and my CX racer, done up as singlespeeds on IRO hubs.

If you're willing to take the hit on weight, my indestructables are a pair of Sun CR18 mirror polished 32h rims laced up with DT Champion straight 2.0 spokes. They're tanks, especially built up on a heavy SON28 generator front and high flange singlespeed rear, but I could straight drop off a picnic table with those wheels and crack the pavement before I popped a spoke. :-)

If you eventually find that money isn't a holdup, the HED Belgium is a pretty sweet rim. They're about $95/ea, so definitely on the high side of pricing; but they're lighter than an Open Pro and have a 23mm wide profile so they'll take a wide tire like a 32 or 35mm with minimal sidewall deformation.