View Single Post
Old 02-19-12, 06:13 PM
DStarr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Changing a Tire

You'll have to excuse me as I'm still decently frustrated while writing this. I'm a pretty new cyclist. I just dug my Orbea out of storage a month ago and began riding again. The problem is that my tires where dry rotted and I was getting a lot of flats. So I purchased a set of replacement tires that where the same brand and size that came with the bike (not knowing there was a difference between wire bead and foldable bead.

After struggling with the front wheel, I wasn't able to get the back tire mounted without pinching the tube. So I went to my LBS and got help. The guy at the LBS had the same issue (though he eventualy got it mounted) and told me that the wire bead was most likely the reason I was struggling so hard, and that I should go with a fold-able.

So I buy a new set of tires, same brand and model but with a fold-able bead. And I'm having the same issue, only with the back wheel. I've tried using powder, soap and everything else I've read about here, but at the end of the day I still have to resort to using tire levers, and still pinch the tube every time.

So far I've wasted about 200 bucks in tubes and tires, and the bike hasn't left the garage in weeks. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong, because at this point I'm close to a nervous breakdown.

Thanks very much,
Drew