View Single Post
Old 02-20-12, 01:53 PM
ESW116

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by newCyclerJD
Woodway: Thanks for the advice! I will certainly keep that in mind. I am not so sure I am ready to just go buy new rotors. I think that I can make these work. As I have been riding for the past few days, the squeaking has become less and less loud. I was told at the LBS that there is a break-in period for these brakes (and from what I can assume and heard from here, break-in periods are required for all new disc brakes) and that I am just going through it now.

ESW: I have been hearing more and more what you just said about 'bedding' the brake pads and the rotors in. When you say to clean them, would I do this with rubbing alcohol and a clean rag?

ShimmerFade: I have been to the LBS on 3 different occasions and I have gotten 3 different answers on this issue. 1) rub dirt on it. 2) rotor is dirty (tech at the LBS cleaned the rotors with soapy water and wiped it off). 3) Told me that there was a break-in period (this was today).

Honesly, I don't mean to ask 'dumb' questions, but as I said earlier, I have little experience with these type of brakes.

I appreciate all of everybody's input thus far and I will most certainly keep updating this!

Thanks again,

JD
well, definitely don't take advice from the first guy. the 2nd and 3rd guys are right though. just a clean rag and rubbing alchohol to the rotors (and calipers if you're comfy removing them), and then you can break them in.