View Single Post
Old 02-20-12, 02:45 PM
Smallwheels

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Fun With Figures

So if someone went on a starvation diet could they drive a car and be carbon neutral?

I like all of these carbon calculators. Each one is flawed in some way. They make me think.

The problems with our environment are just relative. If you look at the Earth from the perspective of it being in a solar system and don't look deeper, the planet is doing fine and humans have no effect on its continuing to orbit the star. It is only when we delve into the aspect of humanity and how it is changing the planet that changes can be seen.

If humanity had a goal with which we all agreed, there could be a standard for how we operate on Earth.

All physical life forms need energy. Most get it from the sun. Some get it from other life forms. Who gets what and how much has never been figured out. As of now if you can get it you can have it.

I don't feel it's necessary for me to compare my bicycle or moped usage to what I would use if I had a car. No matter what, I know my methods use less energy and resources. My method is better than owning and using a car in regards to energy used.

Using a bicycle is much less expensive than walking. Bicycles save wear on shoes and use the food we eat more efficiently when that energy is put into locomotion.

Knowing how much energy one gets out of a banana and how much carbon went into getting it to me is still interesting. I've eaten two of them today.