Old 02-20-12, 07:13 PM
ChrisB5string

Bikes: GT Titanium Road Bike, Trek XC bike, Santana Tandem, Surley Fixed, Swobo Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Older Satana tandem conversion to 10 speed Drivetrain

Hello all fellow tandemists,

My wife and I purchased a used Sanatana Soverign aluminum frame likely about a 2002- 2003 vintage. The tandem has been immaculately maintained. It is equiped with a 8 speed drivetrain. The drivetrain facts:

1. Sach 8 speed shifters
2. Shimano FD and Shimano cranks 110mm BCD
3. Shimano RD and Shimano 8 speed cassette

My problems are:

1. I have been a STI guy since 1996 and I can not seem to get the hang of the paddle shifting for the Sachs. Also all other bikes (10) are Shimano STI or rapid fire
2. The front shifting is completly unreliable from the middle ring to the small ring (53-46-36) and back to the middle and big ring
3. 1 rear cogs (18) will not hold.
4 Sach levers require way too much throw to engage shifting( front and rear)

A little about about wife (stoker) and I.

1. Formerly owned a Melton steel tandem for racing and ultradistance until kids came
2. I am still masters racing, wife retired from racing and we ride the tandem fast and hard
3. Our terrain is basically flat with some short steep hills but no real climbs over 1/4 mile.
4. I really don't want to go back to bar ends

5. Really not interseted in Sram ( had old grip shift on our old tandem for awhile)

My questions are:

1. Is it worth the upgrade to 10 speed? Specifically 6703 shifters. I have heard that the 10 speed chain systems are not reliable for high stress riding and have a 500 mile life.

2. Are there any options for 10 speed chainrings wiht a 110 BCD pattern to match the current cranks
3. Could I upgrade to a 9 speed sytem and keep the current 8 speed chainrings and or cranks. The current cranks and BB are fine.
4. Are they any quality NOS 8 speed sti triple shifters available?

The budget for this upgrade is about $400 not including the 6703 shifters. Thanks for any info advise on this upgrade.

Chris