Old 02-21-12, 04:23 PM
mulveyr 

Bikes: Specialized Diverge, Box Dog Pelican, 1991 Cannondale tandem

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by hotshotennis
Hello everyone. I just purchased a used 55cm 2007 Javelin Narni Tri today from a local bike shop. Let me start off by saying that I barely know anything about bikes. That being said, heres a little background info. Recently, I participated in a mini triathlon that had us use a stationary bike. I want to do many more tri's (sprints) so I figured that I needed a bike. I don't have a big budget so I decided to go used. I have no desire to be a super serious competitor, I just want to do tri's for fun with a little bit of a competitors feel to it (not come in last) . Anyway, I'm a 5"8 female and I got this bike for $600.

Here are the specs:
Its a 10 speed x 2 (20 speeds total)
Has campagnolo veloce shifters and derailleurs
Brakes = Tektro rx 40s
Wheels = 650c easton vista SL
The aero bars are oval concepts
It has carbon fork, crankset, and seatstay.
The frame is aluminum.

Some other words I found written on it are "velomax", "truvativ rouleur" and "centaur".

-It seemed to fit me well and I enjoyed riding around on it. One big problem is the seat. Good God it hurts! Maybe just because I haven't ridden a bike in a long time... Anyway, the seat is genuine leather selle italia tri matic 2.

Ok, basically what I'm asking is if someone experienced could tell me (without being too bashful or condescending) whether this was a good purchase or not. Maybe point out some strengths and weaknesses of the bike. And whether or not I can use it for all of my rides as a substitute for a road bike( I dont have one). I know some people say its not safe because of the aero position, but I can also hold it like a regular road bike with my fingers on the brakes, so I don't see the problem.

-Ok, I'm done ranting. Any help or advice is appreciated. Please take pity on a poor, new, bike enthusiast who doesn't know what shes doing.

For a rank beginner, the make/model/etc of bike and components have exactly zero importance. You're not good enough yet for the equipment to make any difference. :-)

The saddle issue may be because it simply doesn't fit you well. If you haven't been riding in a long time, it may be just that you need to get accustomed to the pressure again. So just keep riding it, and if it doesn't get better, then consider checking out other saddles.

FWIW, my son has a Javelin Dolce tri bike that he uses strictly as a road bike. The quality is very good for the ( closeout ) price we got it at.