Old 02-23-12, 05:31 PM
cranky old dude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
T.E. gearing and chain length help needed.

I'm riding an early 2000 T.E., which I purchased used a few years ago.

It came equipped with 24-42-52 rings and an 11-34 8spd. cassette all served by Shimano Deore XT derailleur and shifters. It has a Terricycle idler for return chain management.

My problem is this: I can't seem to get the chain to the correct length and apparently neither could the previous owner. It's either too short In the 52-34 configuration or too long in the 24-11 configuration. I'm currently running with the too tight scenario and hoping I remember not to shift into the 52-34 gear combo.

I've been in discussion with my LBS in an attempt to rectify this issue. I really like the gearing I have now so I would like to find a way to make it work, if one exists.

We looked up Shimano rear derailleur with 36 tooth capacity but they had insufficient wrap (45 tooth vs. my 51 tooth). We also looked at some chain tensioners that mount to the chain stay wondering if one of those might give me enough clearance to use my 52-34 combination with my current chain length.

We did not look up any SRAM derailleur since I have the Shimano trigger shifters but if SRAM has components that will sort this out then I am willing to spend the money to change components.

Have any of you successfully used this combination of gears and found the components to allow proper chain length throughout the entire gearing range? Advice please??