Old 02-24-12, 05:57 AM
AdamDZ
Bike addict, dreamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As others pointed out: if you feel numbness in that area you should make sure that your position on the bike and on the saddle is proper, and that you have the right saddle. Padding itself won't help you all that much if your position is bad. I also like lycra shorts to keep my parts in place but that in itself doesn't prevent the perineum pressure issues: check your position, but a better saddle might be in order.

As far as position goes: your weight should be supported by your sitbones, not your soft parts, and you may consider sitting more upright too to avoid squeezing your goodies.

I used to experience numbness with some saddles on longer rides. I finally standardised on higher end WTB mountain saddles that have a deep channel and padded nose. I also started riding with Brooks Imperial, the one with a cutout and it works great too on long rides. And I often ride with no padding or very thin chamois (triathlon shorts).

BTW, this is a rather serious issue, and you should really research your options and do this right if you want to enjoy cycling.