View Single Post
Old 02-27-12, 10:35 AM
MichaelW

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
I added a dynamo to my Alfine bike.
The only version I could find was Shimano DH-3D70 centerlock disc, 36 spoke and it is a fine hub. My LBS built it up with a DT disc-version rim (without braking surface). Make sure you match the disc style front/rear, either 6 bolt or center lock.
B&M lamps make a good match, the senso versions work well. Get a rear rack with hollow tubing and internal cable routing to a rack-mounted rear lamp. You can route cable outside the bike frame but when they are outside the rear rack, they get disturbed very easily by luggage.

With any hub gear bike, you need to pay attention to chain tensioning. Avoid the spring tensioners, there are for retro-fitting and it is a cheap and lazy hack for anyone selling a new bike with IGH.
In order of preference:
Sliding vertical dropouts
Eccentric bottom bracket
Horizontal dropout or track ends.

I would get one with a breakable rear triangle so it is compatible with a Gates belt drive. I would get a Gates belt drive if I could find one in a suitable price range, they are the ultimate in easy riding and low maintenance.

There are issues integrating rear disc brakes and racks with MTB style disc mounts. Chanistay disc mounts eliminate these issues and are the choice for fully equipped town bikes.

I cant find anything with all the kit supplied and well integrated at a good price, so good luck. Scott Sub 10 is a nice bike but mens only.

Last edited by MichaelW; 02-27-12 at 10:41 AM.