Thread: Winter clothing
View Single Post
Old 07-22-05, 11:49 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Winter clothing

Middle of Summer and I bring up this subject. Fact is I have been riding for a great number of years, and have accumulated a great amount of Cycle clothing. What made me think of this is that we have Rain promised for the weekend, only promised so it may not happen again. I have just sorted out my waterproof clothing for a ride and I suddenly realised that most of it was bought in the Summer sales at various stores and internet sites.

I do not ride in leggings, but I do have a pair of nickers-- long shorts that cover the knees and they are made of Roubaix material that is warm and water repellant. In the winter, I normally ride in the short sleeve top and a long sleeve top that is once again made of roubaix. Then I start on the water and showerproof tops-- I have 6 of them. The goretex that is completely waterproof and breathable. The Goretex copy that is too thick but water proof, A Polaris top that is downpour proof and breathes but not completely waterproof in prolongued rain, A Nike showerproof that packs into a small bag round the waist so gets used quite often. A sports top that is completely waterproof that I never wear as it does not breath, and then I come onto the one that even gets used in the summer. It is a pertex top- not waterproof but is completely wind proof and very light, and packs into the size of my fist so very handy.

Winter riding is not great fun, but if you are prepared for it- then can be enjoyable. Look out for that cycling top now in the summer sales and save a fortune. The only item I am missing at present is one of the cheap plasticky tops that has vents down the sides for summer riding. Cheap to buy, very usefull even in winter, and not a disaster when it gets ripped on the brambles on the trails.

Whats clothing do the rest of you use in the winter? may not even be cycling or sports specific, but if any tips can be passed onto the rest of us, we will ALL be able to get out on those cold, wet, windy winter days. Can't wait for them to come.