Old 03-03-12, 11:11 AM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
Well, screw you guys with the 705! But seriously, why is the same GSC-10 reliable on your GPS and not mine?
There are likely two causes of problems: 1) placement of the GSC-10 and, 2) bugs in the firmware of your Edge 500.

I have GSC-10s installed on my road and touring bikes. The chainstays are relatively straight and the Q-factor of my cranks is pretty narrow, so everything lines up nicely as far as the GSC-10 is concerned. Sounds like placement on your bike may be more difficult, but it seems like you're on the right track to fixing it.

Garmin is also pretty good at releasing buggy firmware. I waited at least 18 months before buying my Edge 705, because it seemed like early adopters were having a number of problems. By the time I bought, the majority of the worst problems were fixed, though to this day the unit will occasionally stop displaying the gradient in the middle of a ride... I haven't followed the Edge 500 and Edge 800, so I don't have any idea if there are firmware problems with it.