Old 03-03-12, 03:58 PM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
If you only have one leg for now, you can turn your toe in to avoid the crank.

First, talk to your prosthesist so he can show you how to properly torque the bolt, and also to make sure that one or another side of your pylon is able to be turned. I took a black sharpie and put two marks at a joint I could easily line up to. One was my normal walking adjustment, and the other was what would miss the crank. I carry the allen wrench I need in my seat bag.

I found an adjustable length pylon in some extra parts the prosthesist had at his office. It will raise and lower by turning it round, so you can easily set toe in, as well as to make that side longer than the other leg (since you have no ankle flexion). I have found that running my "good" leg at about 35* knee flexion, and the amputated side adjusted long to get me about 40*. My knee is also messed up and pops when I extend it past a certain point.

I use spd's. eggbeaters to be precise. They are always open to the top and are very easy to clip in and out of. I personally use the 7* float side of the cleat for that foot. The other advantage is the ability to walk on the shoe without actually being on the cleat and thus up on your toe. Without an ankle you cannot correct for that and it makes walking very awkward and unsafe.

Best of luck to you. If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Last edited by Juan Foote; 03-03-12 at 04:05 PM.