Old 03-04-12, 09:39 PM
Barnabus Reynol

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Convertint Giant Defy Advanced 3 to a city commuter

Gents, I have 5 miles to get to work through poop southern salt lake city (Sandy).

Some bad roads, wetness, traffic, and I have to cross a triantrack and go under a interstate overpass. I am not excited, but I want to take that 10 mile round trip.

So, I have a decent bike. Full carbon, Mavic starter wheels, Armadillo tires (newish), 105's with an Ultegra derailleur. Was a great road jaunt bike.

But I haven't "road biked" for endurance in like 2 years. So, how do I update my bike for more of a commuter, street bike.

I figure that something like Gatorskins is first. What about a new step and bars? straight bars? And pedals - I am thinking of speedplay Frogs (I have speedplay light action and then Shimano 105 road). Other than that, it's pretty much a long-distance "get on your spandex bike!" So should I just get some platforms? Really aggressive platforms? Or use my road shoes ($250 carbon shoes, carbon soul) with the Speeplays I have. I am worried about dismounting and walking over the train tracks and such.

Since it's 5 miles, I don't predict an incredible sweat. I have a full kit, both summer and winter. But I prefer to wear some work clothes.

I have no problem wearing a small backpack to carry some clothes and my computer, but I have no mud guards.

How hard is it to do a drops to straight bar conversion? Or should I just invest my money into a cyclocross bike with platforms?

OR, just get some gatorskins, lower the seat a bit, maybe get the straight bars, a mirror and lights, and call it good.

What say you? I want a commuter and there's a 10% I'll ever do anything but ride my 5 miles through the rural city, in light traffic (a biway with a lot of long stretches, and just the few sketchy areas.

Help me rhonda.