View Single Post
Old 03-05-12, 07:00 PM
Shutter

Bikes: Vitus 992 x2, Miele, Cambio Rino, Rossin, Pinarello, CIOCC, Cannondale, Devinci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
IIRC the originals were a molded rubber bit (Gipiemme made?) that snapped into the oval hole. I suppose you could find a round rubber grommet and squish it to fit the oval. The center hole would become more of a slit than a hole, but might grip the housing OK or you could help the grip with some silicone glue. Your idea of fabricating oval AL plates sounds slicker, but any angle you drill thu really thin stock won't offer much "angled" surface for the housing. I wonder if you could take it farther (and more complicated) by bending a piece of it inward to create an angled tab, drill a hole in that tab for a step-down ferrule...glue everything in place with silicone sealant...if I keep thinking I might have to draw a diagram!
thanks! well.. what I think I might do it drill a hole a little smaller then hear up... I mean REALLY heat up a piece of drill rod, insert it, and then bend it down.. this will form a bit of an angled slot in the aluminum and the hot drill rod will open up the hole a bit... I may do it out of REALLY thin aluminum or just 2" copper pipe...