View Single Post
Old 03-07-12, 08:49 AM
Onegun
Oldie. Boy, howdy!

Bikes: 2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I don't patch tubes anymore, and this is a perfect example of why. If the tube had no patch, you'd know the tube was leaking somewhere else, but since it has a patch, you're not really sure. Since patches DO fail occasionally, the patch is always suspect. So I replace the tube every time. Particularly on the tandem.

But I don't throw the old tubes away, either. I have a friend that grabs discarded bikes when he sees them and fixes them up for the needy here in Clearwater. He gets the tubes, patches them, and keeps a reserve of patched tubes for those folks, as well.

NOTE: I run hardened tires so I don't get many flats, either.
BICYCLE - [[I]bahy-si-kuhl] - Noun :> A medical device used to correct the common geriatric condition of OFS, (Old, Fat & Slow), in a manner that does not induce brain-decaying boredom like walking or running.

2005 Trek T2000 tandem, Giant TCR, Eddie Merckx Majestic Ti, Fuji Team, Giant Revel 29er, Windsor Clockwork (Orange) fixie, and a BikTrix Juggernaut Ultra 1000 fat tire eBike