Old 03-08-12, 02:54 PM
Ritterview
Tandem Vincitur

Bikes: BMC Pro Machine SLC01, Specialized Globe, Burley Rock 'N Roll tandem, Calfee Dragonfly tandem.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by waynesulak

I know these are show bikes, but who decided such a saddle to bar drop looked good anyway. Just makes it look thrown together to see what appears to be a huge drop. I noticed Craig's personal bike has a much nicer set up.
If you are referring to the Dragonfly, The ponderous drop is due to the saddle being especially high. I believe the saddle is high so to provide more clearance and thus better viewing of the tandem stoker version of the Calfee BarStem. Mike Moore (who knows an easy mark), didn't hesitate to bring it to my attention. He told me that by using my incumbent Profile Design bar and ENVE seatpost, the cost would be $200 per joint, and $200 to paint, and thus $600.

It wasn't easy to photograph, but the seatpost being at full extension was helpful.

I must admit I would like to have mine done up, but not for $600. It would be good to quantify the weight advantage. I have a Calfee adjustable stem, the same bar and seatpost, so a comparison of weight of the setup would be apples to apples.