View Single Post
Old 03-10-12, 10:33 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
That tells us something. The devices themselves are quite nice, but I fear there's no future for libraries and bookstores--two of my favorite places.
I think libraries in one form or another will always be around. Bookstores are a crap shoot. The small stores that deal in used, classic and rare books will be around for a long time to come. The others? Who knows...we only have a one or two small stores left in an area of over 200,000 people, they are specialty stores and are staying in business by catering to those special needs. We only have one big box book store and it does well. I think too many people have stopped reading, if they ever knew how to read to begin with.

I have always been a reader, my mom claims she thought I was sick the week after I discovered the school library, I came home and went to my room and didn't come out even for dinner, turns out I was buried in the Boxcar Children series, followed by The Hardy Boys, Nancy Drew and anything else I could get my hands on. I know that my son followed in my footsteps to a certain extent, when he was in middle school he would get into trouble (usually by talking or socializing during class) and the teachers could not figure out the best discipline...dear old dad suggested that they limit his library privileges straightened him right out. He still loves books and refuses to live where there is not a decent library.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon