Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by Drumnagorrach
My Goals. Well I would like to be able to ride the 70 miles a day ,for 10 days ,that I will need to ride from Lands end to John O groats,maybe in a year or two. At the moment,I can ride 50 miles in around three and a half hours,depending on wind speed and direction ( Scotland is the windiest country in Europe ). Thursday I rode 35 miles but the strong westerly wind for most of the ride left me very tired at the end.
So I suppose endurance is my aim,certainly not weight loss,but keeping my heart healthy ,I'd be crazy not to.
I think I understand a lot better ,after the answers I got on here,as I understand it,my heart rate will be in zone 4 on most of the hills untill I get fitter. I believe that I will gain most by using my heart rate monitor to pace myself on long rides and monitor improvements in fitness levels and structured training on my spinning bike.
Yup, that's it. The other thing you'll be battling is recovery between rides. So about a year before you think you'll do it, start riding 6 days/week. You also need to train your body to recover more quickly, and more frequent training inputs is the way to do it. You'll have to start with lower mileage and gradually work up to it. You'll be touring, so you'll have all day to make your mileage, but it will still wear on you. While you're thinking about that, you might think about getting your touring package as aero as you can, and also experiment with after-ride recovery foods.