Old 03-10-12, 08:31 PM
jameswoo360

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EM42
having a bicycle transportation is not an expensive hobby. let me explain

i see it this way your getting exercise and having fun at the same time[hobby part]. you can actually travel faster in some instances on a bicycle[as a practical transportation]. how much do you spend on a gym membership yearly ?its all work in there and not much fun spinning the threadmill ? you won't need that much if you have a bike. how much money do you spend on petrol every year for your car if you do I bet the bike is way cheaper than the maintenance, insurance, petrol, parking etc. and your expenses are yearly as you own the vehicle. I could ramble on and on but I tell you a bicycle will be the cheapest hobby or transportation means its actually a necessity nowadays.

I own a car and with traffic and parking expense and rising gasoline prices I use the bicycle if I can. I'm also a photographer and its great to get around. In most asian cities because of the traffic the bicycle is faster than the automobile you probably know this more than me as I live in LA and the traffic is also getting worse and there is no future it will only get worse do yo think traffic will become better??. the automobile is the worst of all human invention but thats another story[or another forum] !

as with camera lenses you get what you pay for I know you will agree
EM42 I agree with you with what you said especially about transportation. Maybe I should have said "in case it develop into a hobby" rather than biased towards transportation.

In my college days, I had a car for bad weather & night classes but I use my bike much more for transport (since I can use shortcuts, avoid traffic save some cash) & also for fun too. So I know what you mean.

There are people here biking 30km to work due to congestion since it takes the same amount of time! But the numbers are really small.

One major thing going against me is that around where I stay now & places I will travel to, I need to share with high speed motor vehicles, talking about 60 - 90km/h even though the distances are manageable. Wife might not agree on safety grounds.

We already work from home but need to meet clients on some days around town & go to the office once a week

I agree a folding bike in a car will help overcome parking problems (park further & bike) & definitely encourage me to go out more for photography.

That is why I'm in these forums

@snafu21 thanks for the advice on last year's model. Btw, are the parts on the Ugo standard, in case I need a front deraileur. I like to go fast

Last edited by jameswoo360; 03-11-12 at 05:00 AM.