View Single Post
Old 03-15-12, 03:24 PM
cyclotoine

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 113 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Barrettscv
Well, I'm glad I swapped out the fork for a Surly (as I described in the 1st post) and went with cantilever brakes. I had low expectations for the frame, but for the price of a repaint, I’m pleased with the purchase. Did I mention that this is a "budget" build? Yes, multiple times. Mine built-up quickly and has been completely reliable.

I wanted a durable winter and trail bike and I will continue to enjoy every minute of use I’ll have with the CX700.
I have been happy with mine too as my winter beater SS with risers. I did use it as a polo bike for a month or so as well and I really like cross geometry for this (thought I don't play any more). I had to use an old steel road skewer for the front wheel with knurling on the contact surface. Before that the the disc rubbed loudly and obnoxiously whenever I stood out of the saddle. I was pleased that a skewer fixed the issue. I have an old hybrid alloy disc fork that weighs a ton but has a sturdy disc tab and I will use that if I make it a gravel road warrior. You're right, for the price it is a unique product and I am satisfied. But if I didn't work in a shop when I got it, I wouldn't have had access to all the facing, chasing and alignment tools I required to get it assembled and the shop time would have easily made it not such a great deal to the average consumer.

Last edited by cyclotoine; 03-19-12 at 09:16 AM.