View Single Post
Old 03-19-12, 10:12 AM
hotbike

Bikes: a lowrider BMX, a mountain bike, a faired recumbent, and a loaded touring bike

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 75 Posts
Fairing, Partial Fairing, or Spoiler?

NFA Vehicles Type 7

NFA Vehicles Type 9 a.k.a. Fiberglass Ladies Bicycle

My Daughter designed a Faired Semi-Recumbent, and also designed another Fairing with an adjustable angle of inclination. These Fairings were based on the roof spoiler of a Tractor Trailer Truck.

My question is one of Terminology: When is a Fairing a Spoiler?

I assume that a Spoiler is a Partial Fairing, meant to induce an immediate transition from laminar to turbulent flow. Is that correct?

Two embedded videos of less than twenty seconds each, to show the kind of Truck Roof Spoilers we are talking about.

One other thing I want to mention: sometimes when a person asks about my bike's fairing, I ask them "Have you ever seen a Spoiler on the roof of a tractor trailer trucks cab?", and the person says "No." I don't know how anyone can NOT know what a truck roof spoiler looks like. And I'm a bit worried about the ones that the state has issued drivers licenses to. geez, some people are knuckleheads. But I digress.

And a more technical question: When building or designing a Partial Fairing, is it okay to just saw off the nose of a Full Fairing, or should the Partial Fairing be more like a Spoiler? This brings up once again the question of Laminar to Turbulent Transition. Any Comments?