View Single Post
Old 03-19-12, 07:57 PM
cashmonee

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Congratulations on the new addition! I myself am a fairly new dad (my son is turning two in June), and just went through this process, though admittedly not a deeply as you are.

Like you, I wanted something that I could use for paved trails and roads with my wife and a trailer. I occasionally will ride alone or with my brother, but more for touring/fun than speed or competition. I was coming from a Specialized Crosstrail that was too big (wrong size) for me. I wanted something like the Crosstrail without a suspension fork and disc brakes. I went with the Trek 7.4 FX and so far, it's great. It doesn't feel big and bulky, but still stable enough to pull a trailer without any problems.

What I found is that bikes, hybrids especially, in this price range are rather similar. The component groups are all rather comparable, etc. I would say the big difference would be in frame material (steel or aluminum) and geometry. Personally, I would find these locally and ride them, and not get too hung up on the components. I know you want to get the best available in your budget, but, for myself, the top criteria is how the bike rides with you on it. I rode several bikes, and decided on the 7.4 because it had the best ride and best fit for my body type, and I felt at home on it. The best bike in the world is useless if you never ride it.

Last edited by cashmonee; 03-19-12 at 08:00 PM.