View Single Post
Old 03-23-12, 08:48 AM
chasm54
Banned.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Are you based in Poland? if so I'd be pretty surprised if a Surly LHT is readily available, I've never seen one in the UK or, as far as I can remember, on mainland Europe. I have seen them in the States and I don't think they have anything particularly distinctive abut them that you couldn't find in a local bike. The Germans, in particular, have a variety of firms making trekking and touring bikes, you might like a look at some of those. Fahrrad Manufaktur have a particularly good reputation, I believe.

The first thing to decide is the style of bike you want to ride. Drop bars or flat bars? Then consider how much gear you want to carry. If you're using panniers - I'd recommend that you do - you'll want to make sure the chain stays are long enough for you to put the panniers on and pedal without striking them with your heels. This will in turn contribute to your getting a bike with a slightly longer wheelbase than your hybrid. The weight of gear, and the terrain you'll encounter, will also influence how robust a frame and other components you'll need. If you're carrying 50lbs of gear into fairly rugged or remote places you might want a heavy-duty expedition tourer that will not flex under the load, has strong wheels and is unlikely to break. If you travel light and mostly on paved roads you might want something a bit sportier. Finally, do you want derailleur gears or internal hub gears? I like the latter for touring, but opinions differ.

Complicated, isn't it? If I were you I'd find myself a decent bike shop and talk to them about these issues. Then when you have sorted out in your mind the style of machine you want you can start looking at what is most readily obtainable where you are. Of course you can source from anywhere, online, if shipping costs aren't an issue.