Old 03-25-12, 10:25 AM
alanknm

Bikes: Specialized SL2 Roubaix Comp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cranky old dude
Every bike I own has become into an impromptu "rain bike" at one time or another!

Moral of the story.....Pick up a bike you like a lot and set it up for foul (or fowl) weather. Good tires are probably a plus but I have found that I generally slow down quite a bit on wet pavement anyway. It's hard to determine the depth of road puddles (some of ours seem bottomless), and the pavement markings can be as slick as grease when they're wet. Our dry spells don't often last long enough to create much of a slipage hazard on the blacktop surface at first wetting as the surface is usually pretty clean. I'm running an old pair of GEAX Street Runners on my commuter that are almost bald and I haven't been noticing any traction problems. The recumbents are shod with Schwalbe Marathon Plus and when caught in the rain they handle quite well, though they're probably heavier than you want for a road bike.

Beyond fenders and good bright strobes front and rear I think all you'll need is a stepped-up maintainance program to keep things nice and lubricated and rust free.

I like your idea of using a road bike, as your riding position should cause most precipitation to strike your back. I've been caught in heavy downpours on my recumbents more times than I care to recall. What I remember most is how those wind driven giant rain drops sting the thighs and face.
Since I work out of my house, I don't need a commuter bike so a road bike, even if doesn't perform like the Roubaix would at least let me maintain some continuity. Like you said, I'll be riding at a slower pace anyway (besides, since when do we have rain without wind on the Great Lakes ?).

Potholes and endless puddles are another reason why I'd rather not ride a newer bike in the wet. As much as I dislike aluminium framed bikes I think as a compromise something with an alloy frame and a carbon front fork could work for me. The other thing I'd be inclined to do is to put on some bulletproof wheels like Mavic CXP 22's.

The other upside is that I could use a bike like that for touring. You can't carry stuff on a carbon bike.

Now if I can just solve my eyewear problem... Bifocals with a custom prism on the left side (sort of looks like a trifocal).. The only suggestion I had from an optician was to a get custom made set for cycling that would set me back about $600.

I could ride without my glasses if I had to but since my vision in my left eye is so lousy, I'd rather not.