Old 03-25-12, 03:07 PM
ukoro

Bikes: Tern Link C7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
From Speed Uno to Downtube Nova

I currently own a Dahon Speed Uno. I find that there are a lot of good qualities to the bike but I feel for me, it is lacking in the department of where I feel the rear wheel doesn't stay spinning for very long for the amount you have to pedal, it's like a constant thing you have to do.

I'm used to BMX bikes from my youth where 3 - 4 full revolutions of the crank would send you forward coasting for quite some distance, those bikes had hand brakes and I believe the term would be "freewheel" ? (Please let me know if this is correct).

Basically what I want is to be able to coast and not always have to pedal. I am currently looking towards the Downtube Nova, because it looks like for the price, it's going to allow me to do everything that I will need it to in the long run and correct me if I am wrong, but lets say the bike starts having issues with the gearing, is it possible for me to put an automatic internal gear hub on this bike and to keep the rear hand brake on so I can freewheel?

I guess you could say I am fairly out of shape (lacking muscle) and I haven't rode a Bicycle hardcore for about a good 8 years. I am 5'7 and roughly 130 pounds.

Is the Downtube Nova the bike for me? Thanks for your time.

Edit: I wanted to add in that I am also looking to do somewhat long distance riding. I want this to be a near all purpose bike. Maybe not offroad type stuff but I guess to the extent of touring 10-20 miles.

Last edited by ukoro; 03-25-12 at 06:02 PM.