View Single Post
Old 07-25-05, 03:13 PM
linux_author
370H-SSV-0773H

Bikes: Merlin Fortius, Specialized Crossroads & Rockhopper, Serotta Fierte, Pedal Force RS2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
- was (am) exactly where you are... started w/a $350 'comfort' bike - nothing wrong with that mind you, and don't let anyone tell you or give you the impression that a comfort bike (or hybrid) is any less of a bicycle than any other bike (they're ALL bikes)...

- as an old biker i knew that i'd eventually want a road bike, and after a couple months that's what happened... my solution was to find a nice used road bike that fit and is comfortable to ride ($500 for a Specialized Allez Sport, which i then upgraded to all 105 components)...

- i now use the comfort bike for easy days or as a loaner for guest riders, and am pounding the heck out of the road bike until i get fitter, trimmer, faster, etc....

- in six months to a year i'll spring for a really nice road bike...

- but $1000 - $1500 looks like the starting point for a basic new road bike, and i'm sure you'll find one that fits you and feels good in that price range...

- of course if money is no object, then i'm sure there are lots of fellows here with recommendations... (a Merlin Magia comes to mind)...

:-)

- good luck and let us know how it goes! i'm always interested in hearing success/happy stories!