Old 03-25-12, 04:31 PM
buelito
train safe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As another older rider who came to fixed gear bikes later in life (I've been riding fixed for 8 years--started at age 49), I have a couple of small things to add-- on long climbs, break it up into smaller segments. In 2007 I did Ride the Rockies fixed. It included a non-scheduled ride up to the Maroon Bells from Aspen (A GREAT ride-- beautiful scenery--well worth the effort to get up there). The following days the ride was from Aspen to Leadvelle, over Independence Pass-- a 22 mile hill. Being an organized ride, they had aid stations about every 5-6 miles on that uphill. My goal was just to get to the next one without stopping. At the aid station it was use the bathroom if necessary, grab a banana, refill the water bottle and get back on the bike. Did not want the legs to cool off. The top was spectacular! The ride down, as has been stated above, was tough. I had dual brakes as well, which made things better, but I was spinning like crazy all the way down. My top speed was about 37 mph, whcih on a fixed gear is way TOO FAST. I was much more comfortable around 30. My arms hurt too, from using the brakes.

On short hills, remember that momentum is your friend, so pick up the pace slightly as you lead into the hill, and that will help you get up the hill more smoothly.

Another point for those of you doing a fixed century for the first time-- find someone to do it with. My first was with a buddy of mine who also had a fixed gear bike. We decided on a Wednesday to do the Reston Century in Northern Virginnia the following Sunday. Riding together made it easier, and was great motivation--especially on the hills. I remember being slightly ahead of Dave on the worst hill on the course and commenting that this was the earliest I had ever stood up on this hill-- he laughed and said he was already standing. It was also one of those hills where each of us was going to keep going as long as the other was still riding-- neither one of us wanted to be the first to stop and walk--afterwards, we both commented that if we had been alone we probably would have walked a bit on that hill.

My hat is off to you guys that have done 1200 k rides fixed... when I grow up...

thanks for the post- it was good to see others out there doing what I enjoy.

train safe-

Last edited by buelito; 03-25-12 at 04:37 PM.