Thread: Going anywhere
View Single Post
Old 07-25-05, 06:18 PM
CdCf
Videre non videri

Bikes: 1 road bike (simple, light), 1 TT bike (could be more aero, could be lighter), 1 all-weather commuter and winter bike, 1 Monark 828E ergometer indoor bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
If I had nothing waiting for me back home (no job, no school, for example), and I had a huge budget, I'd do the following...

Put together an excellent touring package with bike, tent and other equipment.
A seriously loaded tour.
I'd then start riding in February, to build stamina and get the distances into my legs, and then set off in late March or early April.

My starting point would be Gothenburg (where I'll move to in a couple of weeks).
I'd ride 70-150 km every day, for 4-5 days a week, going first towards Stockholm, and then up the coast through Sweden, cross over into Finland at the tip of the Baltic Sea, and then continue down through Finland, threading my way through the Swedish-speaking areas along the coast.

Just before the Finnish coast turns eastwards, I'd get on a boat and spend a couple of weeks island hopping in the Åland archipelago. Then to Åland itself, and from there, back to Stockholm.

If I still had time, and felt like it, I'd follow the Swedish Baltic coast down, and around to Malmö, and from there, over to Copenhagen, out to Esbjerg, up along the Danish North Sea coast to Skagen and down to Frederikshavn, and back over to Gothenburg.

Otherwise, I'd return straight to Gothenburg from Stockholm, and return another year to do the last part of the trip in reverse order, and then back from Stockholm again.

Pretty detailed plans for what's only a dream, huh?