K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by toastytoad
Every decent sized city should have at least one well paid full time person doing what you do. keep it up!, or stop and move to the bay area, we have better riding weather here anyways.
哪裡 哪裡 (nǎlǐ nǎlǐ)

Tempting... but I'm planning on moving a little further west (or is it east?)...... Taiwan, or Mainland China is where I'm hoping to go.

Back on topic... today's email:

Sent this to several members of the Wilsonville, Clackamas County, Metro, and State agencies, as well as members of the press, and lawyers...

Today I had to go to Wilsonville to get something from Fry's Electronics. It was the first time I've ever been out that way by bicycle, and I was fortunate enough to find a local commuter to show me the route there from the WES stop. Along the way, he had to point out several storm drain grates that are well below the level of the road surface that were located solidly where cyclists would be riding. Had I been out there on my own, after dark, I could have easily had my front wheel drop several (perhaps 8 ) inches suddenly without any kind of warning. The loss of control caused by such an unexpected drop could cause a cyclist to crash, perhaps even falling in front of traffic.

Our route had us on Wilsonville Frontage Rd/SW Boones Ferry Rd.

Enclosed are photos of the area. (Or you can visit the complete set at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/ufobike...th/7023102373/)

Joe (my guide) is the father of 3, and he told me that he's tried several times to get these unsafe conditions corrected, before he, or someone else gets hurt.

Seeing how attempts have already been made to get the issue addressed, I STRONGLY urge the responsible agency to raise the level of those grates flush with the surface before someone gets hurt (or worse) and files a lawsuit for injuries or wrongful death.

While you're out there, I'd also recommend that you paint the missing bike lanes, there's clearly plenty of space for them there.

Replies STRONGLY Requested
K'Tesh
Ok, maybe they're not 8 inches deep, but they are the deepest I've seen since the ones that were fixed on SW Hall in Tigard and the one on SW Barbur Blvd.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 03-28-12 at 02:17 AM.