View Single Post
Old 03-28-12, 11:07 PM
reddog3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
Reddog3- The real people who buy bikes from your LBS do care about convenience and practicality. We, the people who read this forum, are not the people who make possible my bill paying. So i have to pay attention to what the buying masses want. back in the late 1980s and early 1990s under chainstay U brakes were the rage and found on $300 recreational ATBs. At that time the average bike sale price in my shop was about $400. It took a lot of $300 bikes to offset the few $1000 bikes i sold.

Also i have a mechanic's view of what is a beautiful bike. The ones that are hard to service, fit accessories to and otherwise limit my options or make my job hard are not beautiful in my eyes. Kind of like seeing a high heeled woman who is overly pumped and made up. Perhaps interesting to look at (in the train wreck sense) but not the girl I want to take home to my tandem. Andy (asking for forgiveness for the analogy).
True enough Andy. But the OP mentioned a feature he saw at NAHBS. I know you know that this where framebuilders display their wares, and doing something different (practical or not) garners much attention. That's why you seem some different stuff that may not appeal to the masses, or the LBS mechanic for that matter.

However... speaking about braking systems, the well thought out mounting systems don't pose a maintenance problem, regardless of position. The U-brakes and roller brakes of old required maintenance due to design and would have been a PITA regardless of mounting.

Do I think there is an advantage in mounting brake calipers anywhere but the "traditional" location? Not really. But it does open up the possibilities for incorporation of other features (racks, fenders and lights to name three), that may be otherwise compromised due to traditonal brake mounting postitions, and/or provide at least a more appealing or different look.

If you're appealing to the masses, you probably aren't gonna get there with custom handbuilt frames. China can build what they want and a whole lot cheaper.

I can attest to the fact that I've mounted brakes in all positions on the rear. None were harder to adjust or maintain the other. I'm not even pushing the envelope. Mark my words- you will see the day when brake "pucks" will extend from a hidden position in the chain stays to contact the rim's brake tracks. And it will develop beyond that. Think about it- how many years ago did you think you'd see electronic shifting?

Again I remind you- the OP saw something different at NAHBS. Open the mind or get left behind.