Old 03-29-12, 11:17 AM
DCB0
Banned.

Bikes: CCM Torino 76

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A cracked frame and out-of-true wheel are as unrelated as can be. He might have well have said your handlebar tape is worn and therefore he can't oil the chain.

Answers to questions: Your frame is not 'pressed' it is 'bonded' - the tubes are essentially glued together. And, yes, these joints can fail over time, although many of those bonded Trek frmaes have lasted for decades without problems. Just because they can eventually fail, most of them do not eventually fail - in my experience, anyway.

If your wheel is as badly out of true as you say, I would suspect one or more broken spokes. Also, if there are many loose spokes, even without any broken, the wheel needs to be retentioned by a compentant person - NOT someone who thinks that a cracked frame is somehow an impediment to haivng straight wheels.

If there is some movement in the joint - the tube is moving relative to the jug - that would indicate the glue holding the joint together has failed. I don't know if it can be re-bonded. Welding is not advisable as it will seriously weaken the aluminum - the advantage of bonding over welding is that the tubes will not be affected by the heat of a weld. Welded alumium frames are heat-treated after welding to regain the original strength.

Last edited by DCB0; 03-29-12 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Added more infor here and there in the post.