Old 04-01-12, 03:24 PM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Barnabas
Alright I am looking to get a new headlight, the current one i have i got for free. it is a nashbar light. not sure what model. It is bright/can be seen from far...but i went down a street that had zero lights, and it just lit up in a white haze infront of me about 15ft ahead. i tried adjusting angle, etc. but def did not continue down that. I want something that wont turn into a blur/haze on a clear night...

I have heard knog boomers are decent. Any other opinions, or has anyone else used a knog boomer and have an opinion?
I've used just about every Knog LED unit they make and IMO they're fine for MUPs and bike paths, but I wouldn't want to count on them to see with or to be seen on streets shared with motor vehicles. The Boomer is rated for 50 lumens which definately doesn't cut it as anything other than a running light.

There's also the problem with light intensity varying with the square of the distance so any light that needs to throw a beam any distance needs some serious power. More-so if you actually want to light up the lane you're driving in rather than being limited to the narrow pencil-beam spotlights that flashlights and most bike lights want to try to convince you is 'normal'.

I run with a PAIR of 900 lumen headlights in unlight areas. On the other hand, daylight visibility 'be seen lighting' requires a lot less than that.