Old 04-02-12, 09:17 PM
Hlxdrummer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FastJake
Once you get the cables sorted out and get them operating smoothly see how they are. This is one of the unusual cases where it might actually the brakes that are the main problem. Those arms flex so much, combined with the long-ish reach that they may never stop you well enough. The test is whether the rear brake can lock up the rear wheel and whether the front brake can get the rear wheel to lift off the ground when seated.

Some Tektro dual pivot brakes would certainly be a big upgrade from what you have now. You just need to make sure you get the correct reach http://www.sheldonbrown.com/calipers.html#reach and sort out the recessed/external nut issue (also covered in the article.)
Thanks for the input! I'll keep you updated. It seems the front will be able to lift the back wheel, but not sure about the rear as I can make it hit the bars right now

Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
BTW don't do this! It would probably do more hame than good and it won't center your brakes.
Hm.. I already did it a little bit when I had them apart as pre Sheldon Brown's recommendation on his site for non-adjustable springs. You think this is bad for the little bent steel springs?