View Single Post
Old 04-03-12, 08:24 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by dbg
Payday fan here also. I'm not diabetic but my #2 son was diagnosed (type-1 obviously) at age 5. I essentially managed his insulin and carb intake for the next 7 years. Injections and midnight blood tests were my life for those years. He is now aged 21, on the pump, and still not considered to be in control. He is an athlete and still plays soccer at an elite club level. After extreme days (tourneys and such) he still has extremely low morning episodes (which can include Todds-Paralysis and seizures). I have proposed he should go heavy on the protein immediately after hard games/workouts and cut his pump-bumps (as we call it) in half for his remaining meals on those days. He'll figure it out eventually.
I've had the same problem when not cutting back the evening dose (N) or eating enough of a snack. Having to be awakened by my wife trying to get me to drink OJ at 3am....or worse yet, waking up to an IV in my arm and the EMT crew asking me what day it is. Not pleasant.