Old 04-05-12, 04:49 PM
SuperDave

Bikes: Canyon Roadlite AL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by CptjohnC
Thanks to all. Esp. those who chose to extrude their partially digested meals in the interest of answering.

I take from this that, with the possible exception of the helmet hair issue, that I had not considered, the rest of it is about comfort, style and personal satisfaction. As such, I might try on some higher priced helmets to see if they make my helmet hair look better than a $40 haircut, but I probably won't bother investing much more than I do presently.
Plan on the helmet hair. A helmet that fits you perfectly at every point of contact is gonna do that, and this is what you want. This isn't a Geico commercial. Comfort (to me) is everything. Adjustability is optional depending on fit; at the age of 52 my head ain't gonna change any more. For me, that's a Giro Xen - I prefer visored helmets - but generally Giros and Bells fit me nicely, so I know nothing about anyone else's lids because I stick with what works. I paid $70 for my Giro, but only because I liked the white camo scheme better than the (much cheaper) previous year's available units when it came time to do another one. Either way, I only remember I have a helmet on when I'm riding into the sun and the visor hooks me up.

As an aside, do certain manufacturers produce fits better-suited to certain head shapes, like some motorcycle helmet manufacturers?