View Single Post
Old 04-06-12, 09:34 AM
esoterix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ok, I'm back. Work and weather have been keeping me away from my new found addiction.

Originally Posted by wrk101
Yes, my rule (which I violate from time to time), is that I allowed to have one of each style of bike.
I think I will have to adopt this rule to keep myself from becoming a hoarder. Plus my fiance is already getting tired of the 5 bikes in the garage currently.

Originally Posted by cycleheimer
Do they have very narrow Rigida alloy rims? They always hit me as being a little flimsy.
That would be them. Still not quite sure how much I should be looking at picking up wheelsets for. Can get wheels on Amazon for ~30/each. Haven't come across much else cheaper.

Originally Posted by Scooper
I've found Glenn's Complete Bicycle Manual by Clarence W. Coles and Harold T. Glenn to be a good resource for older bike maintenance, and they're really inexpensive from Amazon (used for less than $10.00).
I will take a look at this but if I can get all of the information I need online like wrk101 said, that 10 bucks could go towards another tool or two.

Speaking of tools, since I am starting with practically nothing. I am thinking about purchasing the Park Tool AK-37 kit and the PCS-10 stand and then just buying whatever additional tools I need as it comes up. Does that sound like a solid plan?

So this is what is on my mind right now. Keep the XO-2 and smaller Trek. Flip the Mirage and Peugeot mixte. Not expecting much for the Peugeot but the Mirage is pretty well kept. Just needs new pads and tape. Depending on how bad the smaller Trek is, I might need to just combine it with the larger one to make it a solid functional bike then part out the rest. Would I even get much from it?

I brought the XO-2 into my local coop on Tuesday and decided to do a full tear down. I learned a lot from it. (What tools I need for different tasks, how to deal with frozen parts, etc.) I picked up some Simple Green and Oxalic Acid. I am trying to source some Brass Wool, but havent had any luck locally thus far. Any other things that I could use to get this thing looking better than it has since it was purchased?

This post is getting lengthy, I will try and update again later. Hopefully with new pictures.