Old 04-06-12, 09:03 PM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Ok - well, we're here. Got to Rossyln around 2, and by 3 or so were were on the bikes. Popped out the side door of the Marriott and saw a couple cyclists going by so we followed. Started heading south down a nice bike path...crowded, but not too bad. Lost the guy we were following, ended up heading over the Roosevelt Bridge. Really wasn't sure where we were going, but we were just glad to be out of the car after the 6 hour drive down.

Got to the Kennedy center and didn't' want to keep going that way so we sort of doubled back and picked up the bike path running behind it, heading south again. Wound up at the Lincoln Memorial and started to show the kids around the Mall.

After Jefferson, we headed over toward the Wash Mnt....and well...for a place where cycling isn't allowed on the sidewalks it seemed like everyone was there. As we were going past...I think it was the Engraving bldg, I popped out onto the street while my wife and kids stayed not the sidewalk. Felt much better there.

Headed past the Wash Mnmt (not quickly mind you...lots of pictures), then up toward the White House. Nearing the east side of the whitehouse (not sure the street) was the only place all day I saw a bike lane. Walked past the White House, took the first right, and told the wife and kids we had to ride in the road...I just couldn't take being on the sidewalk. They objected at first...they were nervous. Wehre we live we never have to ride in traffic anything like this. Headed up 17th st, cut over at some point and then wound up on M street heading back toward Gtown. M street wasn't bad, but my wife and the girls were still a bit intimidated...my youngest is great, she'll follow me anywhere and is pretty fearless.

Broke my chain in Gtown (my fault - didn't have a pin for a 7 speed chain so tried to use one for a 9 speed...doh!) Was trying to repair it and broke my chain tool. Said some choice words. Then as we're walking down the street....my wife sees - Big Wheel Bikes a block away!! Just caught them at closing time, new chain, new chain tool....whew. Grabbed some burritos and tacos up the street, then popped the lights on for the ride back over the Key bridge to the hotel.

So...lessons learned. 1 - study the map and the info you guys gave me a bit more tonight, and make plan! My wife wants to head over to the capitol in the morning to try to get tickets to go on a tour later in the day....so that's our first destination. Probably go up to the zoo after that. Will also try to find a good place to go watch fireworks tomorrow on the bikes. 2 - don't be stupid and try to use the wrong size pin when putting a chain on. 3 - Big Wheel Bikes = sweet bike shop. 4 - Gotta teach my wife and kids how to drop the hammer and merge with traffic

Oh...and the crossing over the Roosevelt bridge in lots of wind is a bit scary - narrow sidewalk!!

And I think the two most impressive memorials for me were MLK - incredibly powerful, and FDR.