I am the Snail~!

Bikes: 2010 TerraTrike Rover 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mithrandir
Howdy,

A few weeks ago I started thinking about what to get my parents for a retirement gift next month, and pondered getting them bicycles. I posted a thread about it in a different forum when I was still in the brainstorming stages (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread...s-and-bicycles).

So I ended up deciding on getting a pair of tadpole trikes for them, and now I'm in the process of narrowing down the exact model.

So far the only thing that's sticking out to me is the Terratrike Rover 8 speed. I can't really seem to find anything that is comparable in terms of budget and seat-height.

Does anyone have any opinions on these trikes? Are they a good idea to purchase as a gift? Or are there better models I'm overlooking?

Thanks!
As a Rover owner, I'd like to share my thoughts if I may?

Sadly, I have lost my Sturmey Archer hub not once, but twice due to failed seals, and the second time out of warranty. I love my trike, but am not sure that the SA hub is robust enough to last. If you decide to go with Rovers, I'd suggest buying them from Utah Trikes, and ordering them with either the Nexus, Alfine, or NuVinci hubs instead. Going with the Nexus hub the cost is almost the same right now.

While being a bump in cost, the other trike *I* would consider (if the cost can be coped with) is the Catrike Villager. While the seat height is a bit lower, the quality of the trike is far higher, and much lighter.

I can tell you that after 700+ miles with a 310lb plus rider, nothing has worn or broken on my Rover other than the SA hub. I have gone through all the components and inspected all the wear parts, and nothing yet needs replacing. So I do call the Rover a very good basic trike!!