Old 04-10-12, 06:07 PM
Dudelsack 

Bikes: Lectric Xpedition.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 146 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Hermes
I deleted my comments since I have no experience riding recumbents or with recumbent technology and their power profiles and training. I think you received great advice to work on your balancing skills when the bike is going very slowly and get off and walk if the climb is too steep.
Well, since you brought it up...

In theory, a bent would climb as well as a bike if they could design a light, affordable, laterally stiff frame. In the bent world you can only have two. I was a poor climber on my bike, so on the bent I'm no worse (and slowly getting better) except for very slow speeds. My lowest gear is a 30X34 on a 26" wheel, so I should be able to take it up a cliff, except when I get that slow I can't maintain my balance.

If I wake up tomorrow and feel full of urine and acetic acid, I may cycle out five miles to a very steep grade and see how I do. Of I might be as tired tomorrow as I am now, and I won't.

I did myself a favor and installed M324s so if I approach a scary steep grade I'll flip them over and use the flat side. Of course, you lose power that way but at least I don't have to worry about a likely painful Tombay. But if it happens, I'll be sure to submit the proper forms to the magistrate across the pond.