phidauex
Spoked to Death

Bikes: Salsa La Cruz w/ Alfine 8, Specialized Fuse Pro 27.5+, Surly 1x1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by phidauex
Here is a quicky recipe on my favorite way to prepare mushrooms. Boletes and oysters are best, but any fresh mushroom will do well cooked this way:

Heat a completely DRY skillet over medium heat.

Slice your mushrooms into reasonably thin slices.

Toss the mushrooms into the dry pan with a good pinch of kosher salt (any salt will work, but kosher salt's larger pieces pull moisture out of things easier, which is what we are doing).

Saute the mushrooms over this heat, keeping them moving around. The moisture in them will begin to evaporate, and they will shrink. If the mushrooms look wet, or there is free moisture in the pan, keep cooking till it evaporates off.

When the mushrooms are fairly small, and have taken on a firm 'meaty' texture, add a clove or three of crushed and chopped garlic, and a few good pinches of shredded fresh sage (the fresher, the better, seriously!).

Mix together, and add a squirt of olive oil, just enough to lightly coat the 'shrooms, and make the herbs all stick to them. Cook for a few seconds just to let the flavors permeate.

Then eat them! Or put them on a sandwich, or in pasta, or whatever. The dry saute cooks mushrooms WITHOUT slimyness, which is a very common mushroom complaint. The garlic and sage makes a wonderful taste combo that can't be beat, but of course you can try other herbs and spices if you want. Once they've been dry sauted, they can go into other dishes without taking on a slimy texture. I've converted several "I don't like mushrooms" people with this simple method.
Emphasis added.

Seriously though, good on you for eating them anyway, but now you know how to scale things back for your next attempt. You just need a pinch or two of salt in the pan. If you don't have Kosher salt, try sea salt, and if you don't have that, then reach for the mortons, but keep control of your trigger finger.

To tie it into cycling, I bet the combination of concentrated proteins and electrolytes made a super nutritional supplement for a vigorous fixed gear workout.

peace,
sam