Thread: young punks
View Single Post
Old 07-27-05, 12:43 PM
noisebeam
Arizona Dessert

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix, Lemond Poprad. Retired: Jamis Sputnik, Centurion LeMans Fixed, Diamond Back ascent ex

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5345 Post(s)
Liked 2,169 Times in 1,288 Posts
Originally Posted by saturnsc2
well i can't understand it. if i ever mouthed off to my parents when i was little i got the crap beat out of me. that's discipline. a lot of these brats need discipline. it's annoying enough to hear them yelling crap, & a lot of these idiots start off by just yelling, then it turns to physical abuse such as swerving into you, throwing things, ect. when's it going to stop?
Look, I'm very glad you are such a good person, but I am not talking about you or individuals, I am talking about the very obvious phenomemon of kids to be obnoxious and outragous to strangers when they are not being observed by someone who can inflict punishment. I'd bet there are highly disciplined kids out there who get severely punished by parents for bad behavior, but put them in a car with their friends with a vunerable cyclist nearby and they will taunt them for fun and social status.

I do not believe that verbal harrasment like this (kids amusing themselves) escalates to physical. This is different than the verbal harassment with rage that comes from all ages, actually often 25-35yr olds where they really have pent up rage toward cyclists and the world around them that they can't control.

Point is I see a big difference between the very common and predicable yells I get from car packed with kids when passing the local high school vs. the agressive yelling and close passing I get from 25-35 yr old men in their jacked up pickups. The former is amusing, the later saddening.

Al