Old 07-27-05, 01:08 PM
saturnsc2

Bikes: 1982 Huiffy 10-speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fallstorm
I remember my time in driving classes about 4 years ago. There was almost nothing taught about bicycles... if anything, maybe 5-10 minutes. I remember we spent a lot more time on people with red-tipped white canes (blind pedestrians). I can barely remember seeing many pedestrians with this type of cane, but I sure see a lot of cyclists!

Actually, I haven't been yelled at as much as many have. The actual yelling (Hey! Get the heck off the road!) and dangerous actions (running stop signs when they can clearly see me, etc) has been mostly from middle-aged people, but the general harassment has been from more college-aged people. Luckilly, I haven't had anything thrown at me (yet, knock on wood). However, as I live in a college town, my sample is slightly biased.
ya that's kind what i figured, almost nothing taught about bicycles. i remember a lot about bicycles, especially being taught how hard it is to see them & motorcycles & to always lookout for them. maybe the d.o.t. should read these forums & re-think the driving courses. seriously, because so many people tell me to ride on the sidewalk, it really makes me wonder if these people are just oblivious to the fact that bicycles riding on the city streets are legal. i still have my old driving school book from the d.o.t. from 1979 & it clearly states in there many places about bicycles & their rights. also abut the blind person, who just like you i rarely see. i just see cyclists too....

Last edited by saturnsc2; 07-27-05 at 01:18 PM.